Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Weight...What A Funny Little Number


Weight...that one number that strikes fear in the hearts of women...and some men. What is it about that number? It's almost as if we think that as long as that number remains unspoken (or unwritten), then people won't be able to tell that we're overweight. Hiding that number somehow makes our weight problem invisible to others. It's only when that number is revealed that people look at us and say, "Wow...she's overweight!"

Ha! If only that were true! I think the only people we fool by hiding that number is ourselves. We bury our head in the sand like an ostrich, refusing to face the truth, while all the time, our "truth" is hanging out for the rest of the world to see.

Well, I'm tired of hiding. I've done it. I've made that number public (in the column to the right). It's horrifying. It's sad. It's a bit frightening. But it's my reality. Now I finally know what everyone else has known all along--I have a problem that needs to be corrected.

(image courtesy of Punchstock)

8 comments:

CindyPTN said...

Hi. I'm here by way of the Healthy You Challenge. The scale can be scary and the numbers a pain, but you're right in that they are just numbers. They're only part of the journey. You are in control and don't need to let those numbers control you. Have you taken your body measurements, yet? Because those numbers are another part of the journey that you'll want to celebrate! Combined the two are helpful indicators to what's happening inside your body. It's a balancing act. Ultimately, it's how you're feeling mentally and physically that matters most.

Welcome to the challenge. I look forward to sharing the journey! You're off to a great start!

Chubby Chick said...

The number can be scary at times. Other than my blog buddies, nobody knows how much I weigh... not even my husband. It's silly. He lives with me. He knows I'm fat. lol

And... welcome to the "Healthy You Challenge!" Good luck with all your goals! :)

The Thin Girl Inside said...

Thanks so much to both of you for visiting!

And thank you for the reminder, cap. I need to take my measurements!

Mom On A Mission said...

Hey! Nice to meet you! Well, I came by way of a comment you left on John is Fit. But I see from the other comments, you are also a member of the Healthy You Challenge! Congrats on blogging about your journey to weight loss!

I am so impressed you've posted your weight and photos... I haven't really gone that far yet.. photos.

It has helped me so much when I posted my weight on my blog and I started keeping track of my accomplishments, as well as the things I need to work on. Then I shared my blog with my friends and family. OMGoodness! But I did it. My reason for sharing my blog with friends and family is to help with my motivation.

Anyway, keep it up! Your blog is great!

Susie said...

Hey thin girly-You are taking all t he steps in the right direction and will get much support here. Good luck with your journey! Drink your water :)..I forget too..I am keeping a pitcher of water by the bed..hoping that will remind me.

Trisaratops said...

Welcome to the HYC! I'm a teammate too - and the amount of support you will get is incredible, you'll feel so good. I am totally freaked about having friends see my weight, so I've told very few about my blog. But I slowly realized that just because I don't tell them the number doesn't mean that isn't true. And if I am changing it, then so much better.

Diana Swallow said...

I know how scary it can be to share that number. I did it myself a few months ago. But you know what? That number doesn't define who you are if you don't let it. Don't let it keep you from doing the things you want to do, life is happening right now, enjoy it. Enjoy your journey to your new weight. You CAN DO THIS!!

TB--Milwaukee said...

Coming by through John is Fit. Good luck with the journey, focus on small goals and relish the non-scale victories along the way.